There are so many benefits to container gardening. You can garden year-round, pest control is easier, you won’t use as much water, you’ll spend less on fertilizer, you don’t have to till the ground, plant diseases don’t spread as easily… you get the idea.
However, it’s not as simple as throwing dirt and seeds into a bucket. If you want to have a successful container garden, there are a few secrets you need to know, and that’s where this post comes in.
Starry Hilder is an expert at container gardening and she made a list of six secrets. Here they are:
1. You can use just about anything for a container (just make sure you drill holes in the bottom).
2. Never reuse soil from last year. In fact, you should clean your containers from last year with 1 part bleach 3 parts water.
3. Don’t just use any soil. Containers are small, so you need soil that is loose and won’t retain too much water. Either make your own soil from the ingredients or buy some potting mix.
4. Don’t use more soil than necessary. Fill the bottom of the container with gravel or wood chips. This is good for drainage.
5. Use a potting mix with fertilizer in it already (such as black gold). You can add your own fertilizer, but a lot of it will get washed away. If you make your own soil, get granules which will release fertilizer into the soil gradually.
6. Don’t be afraid to plant multiple things in one container. If you have a container with some extra space, plant something small there.
Watch the video below to learn more about these secrets and how to implement them.