Basil is one of my favorite herbs. It has this strong, wonderful aroma that makes me think of homemade pesto or lasagna. I’ve also used it when making hummus, grilled chicken, tomato soup, and even pizza.
There are actually many different varieties such as red rubin basil which is very ornamental and makes a great border plant. There’s also Thai basil which is very tasty and significantly changes the flavor of anything you’re cooking. And then there’s lemon basil which grows very quickly and makes a great tea.
But we’ve really only scratched the surface. In this video by Off Grid With Doug & Stacy, they go into more detail about types of basil and tips on how to grow it. They also briefly discuss five other benefits / uses for basil. Here’s what they talk about.
Want to save this post for later? Click Here to Pin It on Pinterest!
- Basil is very healthy. It has anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties, and it increases anti-oxidant activity.
- It repels houseflies and mosquitoes, so plant it on your front or back porch or in containers in your home.
- It improves the taste of soups, salads, chicken, and pork chops.
- It improves the taste of certain vegetables such as asparagus, peppers, and tomatoes.
- You can make an insect repellent spray with boiling water and fresh basil leaves. (See video description on Youtube for more info.)
Watch the video below to learn more.
Want to start a homestead but not sure how?
Sign Up & get a FREE book, "How To Homestead No Matter Where You Live."