One life skill that will really matter when it counts is the ability to tie knots. It’s important to know how to tie knots when building shelter, setting snare traps, or rappelling down cliffs.
Want to save this post for later? Click Here to Pin It On Pinterest!
There’s one knot, in particular, that is really useful. It’s called the farmer’s loop, and it’s a way to add a loop to the middle of a rope.
In the video below, Richard McLeod explains how to tie the farmer’s loop. Here are the steps:
- Wrap the rope around your palm three times.
- Let the ends of the rope hang loosely.
- Pull the new middle loop over the left loop.
- Repeat step #3 with the right loop.
- Pull the middle over the left again.
- Pull the rope into the loop of your desired size.
You should now have the farmer’s loop! Try it a few times to make sure you get it right. Tying this should become second nature to you.
Of course, it’s a lot easier when you’ve seen it done. Watch the video by Richard McLeod below and follow along.