In my family, we all have itchy skin. It’s kind of a family curse. All sorts of things will cause our skin to itch: Not drinking enough water, direct contact with grass and bushes, or using store-bought laundry detergent. This is why I started making my own laundry detergent a long time ago. It’s also why I started making my own bar soap.
Nowadays, even basic bar soap is full of strange, caustic chemicals and perfumes. I don’t need any of that. I just need something that will clean my skin and leave it feeling nice and soft. Something made with coconut or olive oil, perhaps… or both! Which is why I absolutely love this soap recipe I found at Becky’s Homestead.
Want to save this post for later? Click Here to Pin It on Pinterest!
Here are the ingredients:
- 29 ounces of coconut oil (liquid).
- 51 ounces of olive oil
- 11.8 ounces of lye.
- 29.5 ounces of distilled water.
- 3.3 ounces of organic rosemary oil (optional).
- Organic pink coloring (optional).
You’ll also need the following supplies:
- Soap molds.
- Electric mixer with stainless steel blades (or you can use a large, stainless steel spoon).
- Safety gloves.
- Safety glasses.
- Vinegar (in case you get any of the solution on you, vinegar will neutralize a skin burn).
- Kitchen scale.
- Plastic cup.
- Container for lye crystals.
- Container for the water.
- Large, stainless steel bowl for the oil.
Watch the video below to see her make the soap (she starts that part at 3:12).