Estimated reading time: 0 minutes
A huge part of being self-sufficient is learning how to make DIY items that you’d normally get at the store. Two items (and in this case, personal hygiene items) that you should learn to make are natural shampoo and conditioner.
Personal hygiene is one of the most overlooked areas of preparedness. In a true grid-down disaster, the stores will be stripped clean of personal hygiene items, and the garbage trucks won’t be picking up your trash anymore (among other things that you can probably imagine).
This is why learning how to make your own shampoo and conditioner is important, and the best part of it is it’s rather easy. The recipes we’re about to go over are toxic-free and can work well for many different hairstyles, whether it’s thick coarse hair or thin straight hair.
These recipes come from the Youtube channel, Our Oily House, which has tons of great videos on DIY household items. Here’s how to make all-natural shampoo.
Want to save this post for later? Click Here to Pin It On Pinterest!
All Natural Shampoo
- ¼ cup of water
- ¼ cup of soap (such as castile soap)
- 12 drops of essential oils (your choice)
- ½ teaspoon of jojoba oil
- Glass container or a shampoo bottle
- Cornstarch (if you want to thicken your shampoo; otherwise it’s not necessary)
- Mix the water, soap, and jojoba oil together in a glass container or old shampoo bottle.
- Shake the contents vigorously.
- Add the essential oils.
- Stir everything together with a spoon until it is thoroughly mixed.
That’s it! If you’d like to see it done, watch the video below:
Next, we’ll talk about how to make your all-natural conditioner to go with the shampoo.
Want to start a homestead but not sure how?
Sign Up & get a FREE book, "How To Homestead No Matter Where You Live."
Making your own conditioner is a little more complicated and time-consuming than making your own shampoo, but not by much.
- 1 tablespoon of jojoba oil
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons of cocoa butter
- 1 teaspoon of aloe vera
- 15 drops of an essential oil of your choice
- Source of heat
Now just follow these steps:
- Melt the cocoa butter over a source of heat.
- Add the coconut oil into the mix and stir it together.
- Once the two are mixed together, remove them from the heat.
- Allow the cocoa butter and coconut oil mixture to cool for at least five minutes.
- Add in the aloe vera, jojoba oil, and essential oils.
- Stir thoroughly with your spoon.
- Pour everything into a storage container.
That’s it! Once your mixture is complete and after you’ve applied shampoo to your hair, you can then add a teaspoon of your new conditioner into your scalp and massage it in. Allow the mixture to sit in your hair for at least two or three minutes before you rinse it out.
To see it made, watch the video by Our Oily House below.
Like this post? Don’t Forget to Pin It On Pinterest!