Guildbrook Farm is a popular homesteading channel on Youtube and they’ve made several great videos such as 5 Ways Our Life Is Better Living Off Grid. After that video came out, they received several requests to talk about the ways living off grid has made their life worse.
I like videos like this for a couple of reasons: First of all, they teach beginners that living off-grid isn’t going to be easy. It’s not all sunshine and rainbows and harmony with nature. Oftentimes, it’s very difficult and very discouraging. It’s better for newbies to learn this fact ahead of time so they’ll be ready, rather than start a homestead and be shocked when things don’t go well.
Second of all, I like these sorts of videos because they remind me that I’m not alone. When everything is going wrong on my little homestead, it’s tempting to beat myself up and think I’m the worst homesteader in the world. The truth is, every homesteader has challenges, and just knowing that can be very encouraging.
As she says in the video, going off the grid hasn’t made their life worse in any way, but they have faced some major challenges, such as…
- Their Generator – It’s noisy and it costs a lot of money in diesel.
- No Running Water – They only have it when the generator is running.
- Time and Resource Management – There’s never enough time and resources.
- Tiny House Living – There’s not a lot of room and a lot of stuff is in storage.
- Patience – Almost everything takes longer than you think it will.
Watch the video below to learn more about these challenges along with her solutions.