You can watch the whole process in this video by Big Family Homestead, but we’ll share the recipe and some cooking tips.
Want to save this post for later? Click Here to Pin It On Pinterest!
- 6 to 7 cups of flour (We gave a range on the flour because you may need more if your dough is sticky and to flour the work surface for kneading)
- 2 ½ cups of warm water
- 3 teaspoons of active dry yeast
- 4 teaspoons of sugar
- 4 teaspoons of salt
- 1 egg + 1 tablespoon of warm water for egg wash
- Add the 2 ½ cups of warm water to a mixing bowl.
- Add the sugar to the warm water and stir until dissolved.
- Add the yeast to the water and let rest for 30 seconds.
- Add 4 cups of flour and mix with a wooden spoon. The dough will be wet and sticky.
- When the flour appears to be incorporated, add another cup of flour and continue to mix.
- Flour a level work surface with a cup of flour and spread the flour around.
- Dump the dough out of the bowl onto the work surface and toss some flour on top of the dough ball and begin to knead the dough.
- When the dough is spongy and springy, drop it back into the bowl; cover and let rise for 20 to 30 minutes.
- After rising, dump the dough back onto the dusted work surface and toss some flour on top.
- Using a rolling pin dusted with flour, roll out the dough to about 1/2 -inch thick.
- Cut the dough sheet in half.
- Roll up one dough sheet to form a rolled loaf and place it on a piece of parchment paper placed over a baking sheet.
- Repeat the process with the other half of the dough.
- Let the two loaves rise again for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- If you want, you can glaze the top of the dough loaves with your egg wash after they have risen.
- Cut 4 diagonal cuts in the top of each loaf.
- Bake the loaves on the center rack of the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- When done, turn the loaves over and flick the bottoms with your finger. If they sound hollow -they’re done. If not, continue baking for another 4 to 5 minutes.
- Let the loaves rest for 5 minutes.
- Slice and serve.
To see exactly how to do this, be sure to watch the video below.